By Sharon Robb
December 31, 2014—Success never gets old at South Florida Aquatic Club.
And, it’s never taken for granted.
After outstanding 2012 and 2013 seasons, SOFLO improved again across the board.
From three-time Jamaican Olympian Alia Atkinson breaking a world record to Rafael Rodriguez shattering Florida Gold Coast records, SOFLO enjoyed success at every level.
With talent, depth and good coaching, the largest team in the Florida Gold Coast bonded at every swim meet and never lost sight of the importance of the team concept.
The camaraderie among swimmers and coaches was evident on the pool deck at every short and long course meet during 2014.
As we ring in the New Year on Thursday, let’s reflect on some of the highlights.
SOFLO’s Top 10 Moments Countdown for 2014 were:
10. SOFLO’s Tiffany Oliver of Florida State finishes out college career as the first Seminole in history to defend her Atlantic Coast Conference 50- and 100-yard freestyle titles, with school records in both events and Most Valuable Swimmer honors.
9. SOFLO sends 41 swimmers in three of the four classes at the high school state championships including Julien Pinon, CJ Kopecki and Cristian Rossi of American Heritage Plantation which defended its state 2A boys’ team title.
8. SOFLO qualifies four swimmers for the USA Swimming Speedo Junior Winter Nationals in Federal Way, Wash.
7. SOFLO’s veteran coach Rose Lockie finishes runner-up in the National Age Group Coach of the Year awards.
6. SOFLO defends title at 2014 FGC Winter Championships
5. SOFLO wins 2014 FGC Short Course Senior Championships
4. SOFLO wins back-to-back long and short course Florida Gold Coast 14 & Under Junior Olympics
3. SOFLO achieves USA Swimming Level 4 recognition, the highest level, making it one of the nation’s top clubs and one of only two Level 4 teams in the Florida Gold Coast.
2. SOFLO earns USA Swimming’s Bronze Medal Club Excellence Award for 2015
1. SOFLO three-time Jamaican Olympian Alia Atkinson becomes the first black woman to break a world record and win a gold medal at the FINA World Short Course Championships.
Now entering its 15th year, the first ten as Comets Swim Team and fifth year as SOFLO, swimmers, coaches, office staff, parents and volunteers are looking forward to raising the bar even higher in 2015.
Happy New Year!!!
Sharon Robb can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org