By Sharon Robb
May 21, 2016—South Florida Aquatic Club’s Claire Donahue was a double winner Saturday night at the Validus Bermuda National Long Course Championships at the National Aquatic Centre in Hamilton.
The 2012 U.S. Olympic gold medalist won the 200-meter butterfly in 2:18.28 and 50-meter butterfly in 28.33.
Jamaican Timothy Wynter won the 200-meter backstroke in a best time 2:06.69.
Kile Aukerman was third in the 100-meter breaststroke in 1:04.93.
Bermuda six-time long course national record holder Lisa Blackburn, 44, was third in the 100-meter freestyle in 58.52. She swam back-to-back best times in prelims (59.00) and finals. Her previous best was 1:00.12, a 1.60-second drop.
Blackburn was second in the 100-meter breaststroke in 1:11.93, also a best time. Her seed time was 1:12.11. She holds the national record in the event in 1:11.27.
At 44, Blackburn is the oldest swimmer in the four-day meet that concludes on Sunday.
The meet has been sanctioned by FINA, the sport’s international governing body, as one of the last few qualifiers for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and will also serve as a final qualifier for the Caribbean Island Swimming Championships.
Swimmers from Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, Panama, Guam, Syria, Jamaica, Austria, El Salvador, Venezuela and U.S. are expected to compete. Nine swim clubs are entered.
1. Kayla Sanchez, Canada 4:26.54, 2. Octavia Lau, Canada 4:26.66, 3. Jessica Luo, Canada 4:40.07.
1. Kayla Sanchez, Canada 57.14, 2. Rebecca Heyliger, Sharks 57.58, 3. Lisa Blackburn, SOFLO 58.52, best time.
1. Claire Donahue, SOFLO 2:18.28, 2. Maria Far Nunez, LaSalle Swim Team 2:19.29.
1. Jade Hannah, Canada 2:17.41, 2. Shannon Hassell, Sharks 2:31.09, 3. Emily Quarterly, HASC 3:02.86.
1. Claire Donahue. SOFLO 28.33, 2. Madelyn Moore, Sharks 29.12, 3. Vanessa Esposito, HASC 30.25.
1. Faith Knelson, Canada 1:09.95, 2. Lisa Blackburn, SOFLO 1:11.93, best time, 3. Pilar Shimizu, MSC 1:20.06.
1. Ruslan Gaziev, Canada 4:12.04, 2. Mackenzie Flowers, Canada 4:14.25, 3. Joshua Young, Canada 4:16.89.
1. Timothy Wynter, SOFLO 2:06.69, best time, 2. Brett Smith, HASC 2:24.16, 3. Tai Long Singh, Canada 2:26.75.
1. Azad Al-Barazi, Trojan Swim Club 1:01.15, 2. Julian Fletcher, Sharks 1:02.47, 3. Kile Aukerman, SOFLO 1:04.93.
1. Jesse Washington, Sharks 29.46, 2. Evan Farrow, HASC 32.76. 3. Vaughn Rowse, Sharks 32.91.
Sharon Robb can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org