By Sharon Robb
ATLANTA, Ga., December 13, 2019–Claire Curzan broke her second national age group record and Carson Foster moved to second all-time in the 400-yard individual medley to highlight action Friday night at the Speedo Winter Junior Championships-East at McAuley Aquatic Center at Georgia Tech.
Curzan of TAC Titans broke the 15-16 NAG and meet records in the 100 butterfly and became the first female age group swimmer to break 51 seconds in the event in 50.87.
Foster of the Mason Manta Rays moved to second all-time in the 17-18 400 individual medley in 3:38.65, breaking his own meet record.
With one day remaining in the meet, SOFLO swimmers got in more racing on Friday.
Olivia Dinehart, 14, was 45th in the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:05.23. She has the 200-yard breaststroke left to swim.
Rafael Rodriguez, 18, was 95th in the 400-yard individual medley in 4:07.66 and 87th in the 100-yard butterfly in 51.12. He has the 200-yard butterfly remaining.
Mallory Schleicher, 16, was 42nd in the 400-yard individual medley in a best time 4:30.24. She has the 1,650-yard freestyle left.
Miguel Sierra, 16, was 74th in the 100-yard buttefly in 50.67. He has the 200 butterfly left.
Lance Lesage, 17, was 66th in the 100-yard backstroke in 50.77. He has the 200 backstroke and 100 freestyle left.
Pine Crest Swimming’s boys’ 4×50-yard freestyle was tenth in a team record 1:22.92 with Will Taner, Joshua Hanks, Raphael Santos and Jimmy Hart. Hanks also took fourth in the “C” final for the 100 breaststroke.
In addition to SOFLO, swimmers from Pine Crest Swimming, East Coast Aquatic Club and Flood Aquatics are the only other Florida Gold Coast swimmers competing.
The East field features swimmers from SwimMAC Carolina, Marlins of Raleigh, Carmel, Mason Manta Rays, Swim Atlanta, Dynamo, Sarasota and Bolles among other teams from around the east.
The short course yards meet is one of two winter junior championship meets that divide the country along the Mississippi River and Lake Michigan.
The west junior championships are being held at King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash.
Prelims of the meet are being held in two pools for the boys and girls. The finals are being staged in one pool. The meet is being webcast on usaswimming.org at 9 a.m. for prelims and 5 p.m. finals.
COMBINED TEAM TOTALS: 1. SwimMAC 523.5, 2. SwimAtlanta 448, 3. Dynamo 371, 4. Carmel 364, 5. Mason Manta Rays 334.
MEN TEAM TOTALS: 1. SwimMAC 299, 2. SwimAtlanta 256, 3. Mason Manta Rays 254, 4. Carmel 239, 5. Upper Dublin 155.
WOMEN TEAM TOTALS: 1. Dynamo 271, 2. SwimMAC 224.5, 3. SwimAtlanta 193, 4. Club Wolverine 167, 5. Cardinal Aquatics 154.
400-yard individual medley:
1. Kathryn Ackerman, MLA 4:09.62, 2. Olivia McMurray, SWIM 4:14.66, 3. Isabella Paoletti, DST 4:17.34.
1. Claire Curzan, TAC 50.87, 2. Tristen Ulett, DYNA 52.01, 3. Gabi Albiero, CARD 52.64.
1. Micayla Cronk, BD 1:44.67, 2. Ella Bathurst, TEAM FL 1:46.41, 3. Paige Hetrick, BRAD 1:47.02.
1. Abby Arens, MOR 59.82, 2. Letitia Sim, TNT 1:00.44, 3. Alicia Henry, DYNA 1:00.69.
1. Claire Curzan, TAC 51.55, 2. Tristen Ulett, DYNA 52.76, 3. Rye Ulett, DYNA 52.87.
4×50-yard freestyle relay: 1. Mecklenberg 1:31.45, 2. Cardinal Aquatics 1:32.08, 3. Blue Dolfins 1:32.54.
400-yard individual medley:
1. Carson Foster, RAYS 3:38.65, 2. Jake Magahey, SA 3:45.37, 3. Tyler Christianson, NAAC 3:46.90
1. Tim Connery, MAC 46.73, 2. Tristan Dewitt, FORT 47.16, 3. Boyd Poelke, MAC 47.22.
1. Wyatt Davis, CSC 1:34.58, 2. Jake Mitchell, CSC 1:34.95, 3. Jake Magahey, SA 1:35.36.
1. Josh Matheny, PEAQ 52.56, 2. Tim Connery, MAC 53.19, 3. Reid Mikuta, SGSA 53.26.
1. Wyatt Davis, CSC 45.80, 2. Adam Cheney, RAYS 47.16, 3. Nathaniel Stoffle, SPAC 47.27.
4×50-yard freestyle relay: 1. SwimAtlanta 1:19.45, 2. Spartan AC 1:21.29, 3. Mason Manta Rays 1:21.45, 10. Pine Crest Swimming 1:22.92 (Will Taner, Joshua Hanks, Raphael Santos, Jimmy Hart).
Sharon Robb can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org