By Sharon Robb
PLANTATION, March 8, 2019—South Florida Aquatic Club men’s and women’s teams are third after Day Two of the of the Speedo Championship Series Southern Zone South Sectional Championships Friday at Plantation Aquatic Complex.
The women’s team is third with 393 points. Sarasota YMCA leads with 630 and East Coast Aquatic Club is second with 461 points.
The men’s team is also third with 355 points. Azura Florida Aquatics is first with 485 and Sarasota YMCA is second with 370.
Four-time Jamaican Olympian and world short course record holder Alia Atkinson, 30, won two events. Atkinson won her signature event 100-meter breaststroke in 1:08.79. She also won the 100-meter butterfly in 1:01.38 just ahead of Talia Bates of Gator Swim Club in 1:01.42. Atkinson has 64 points in high point.
Mary Smutny, 18, finished third in the 200-meter freestyle in 2:04.16. She was third fastest in morning prelims in 2:05.48. Smutny has 42 points in high point.
Rafael Rodriguez, 17, finished fourth in the 400-meter individual medley in 4:39.27. He was second fastest in morning prelims in 4:39.05. He has 65 points in high points.
Mallory Schleicher, 15, posted back-to-back best times in the 200-meter freestyle. Seeded 2:11.74, she went 2:10.64 in morning prelims and 2:07.69 in finals for a 4.05 time drop.
Schleicher also has back-to-back best times in the 400-meter individual medley. She went 5:06.74 in morning prelims and came back at night in 5:04.62. She was seeded in 5:07.59. Schleicher has 49 points in high points.
Robert Wilson, 16, swam back-to-back best times in the 200-meter freestyle. Seeded 2:01.18, he went 2:00.61 in prelims and 2:00.22 in finals for an 0.96 time drop. He has four points in high point.
Lance Lesage, 16, broke 2 minutes in the 200-meter freestyle and had back-to-back best times. Seeded 2:02.67, he lowered it first in morning prelims in 2:01.18 and broke 2 minutes in finals in 1:59.78 for a total time drop of 2.89. Lesage has 20 points in high point.
Juan Pablo Pineda, 16, had back-to-back best times in the 100-meter breaststroke. Seeded in 1:08.50, he lowered it in morning prelims in 1:08.50 and bettered in finals in 1:07.92 for an 0.77 time drop. He has 15 points in high point.
Javier Roman, 15, has back-to-back best times in the 400-meter individual medley. Seeded 4:56.25, he went 4:54.75 in morning prelims and bettered it in 4:52.33 for a 3.92 time drop. He has four points in high point.
SOFLO has 35 qualified swimmers compete in 155 individual events and 12 relay events race in the long course meet.
A large field is competing over four days in one of four designated USA Swimming zones. The others are Eastern, Central and Western Zone Sectionals. The meet attracts some of the top swimming talent from across the United States and internationally.
Among Florida Gold Coast teams entered are Azura Florida Aquatic, East Coast Aquatic Club, Boca Raton Swim Team, North Palm Beach, Martin County, Coral Springs Swim Club, Sunrise, TS Aquatics, and host Plantation Swim Team. Bolles, Sarasota and Pensacola are top Florida teams.
The four-day meet continues Saturday with prelims at 9 a.m. and finals at 5 p.m.
GIRLS TEAM TOTALS: 1. Sarasota YMCA 630, 2. East Coast Aquatic Club 461.5, 3. South Florida Aquatic Club 393, 4. Barrington Swim Club 334.5, 5. Azura Florida Aquatics 285.
BOYS TEAM TOTALS: 1. Azura Florida Aquatics 485, 2. Sarasota YMCA 370, 3. South Florida Aquatic Club 355, 4. Metro Aquatics 272, 5. Colorado Stars 269.
1. Emma Weyant, SYS 2:01.97, 2. Nikki Miller, Unattached 2:03.38, 3. Mary Smutny, SOFLO 2:04.16; SOFLO: 25. Mallory Schleicher 2:07.69, time drop.
1. Alia Atkinson, SOFLO 1:08.79, 2. Shayna Fetes, SAS 1:13.99, 3. Micaela Sierra, CSSC 1:15.60; SOFLO: 12. Molly Golding 1:16.85.
1. Caitlin Brooks, GSC 28.92, 2. Celina Marquez, Azura 30.16, 3. Megan Murphy, ECAC 30.22.
1. Alia Atkinson, SOFLO 1:01.38, 2. Talia Bates, GSC 1:01.42, 3. Abigail Gibbons, BD 1:01.47; SOFLO: 12. Mary Smutny 1:05.12.
400-meter individual medley:
1. Sumner Chmielweski, SYS 4:55.06, 2. Michaela Mattes, SYS 4:56.36, 3. Michelle Morgan, PS 4:56.69; SOFLO: 5. Mallory Schleicher 5:04.62, time drop, 6. Kathleen Golding 5:06.96.
800-meter freestyle relay:
1. Sarasota YMCA A 8:27.30, 2. East Coast Aquatic Club 8:36.35, 3. Sarasota YMCA B 8:40.73, 5. SOFLO A 8:42.62 (Mary Smutny, Mallory Schleicher, Olivia Dinehart, Kathleen Golding), 14. SOFLO B 9:05.32 (Sarah Acevedo, Sara Quintero, Elena Dinehart, Molly Golding).
1. Santiago Corredor, GSC 1:52.33, 2. Gabriel Araya, Unattached 1:53.62, 3. Julian Hill, GSC 1:53.79; SOFLO: 21. Robert Wilson 2:00.22, time drop, 25. Lance Lesage 1:59.78, time drop.
1. Ryaan Hatoum, BERK 1:05.20, 2. Lukas Macek, Unattached 1:05.29, 3. Hector Rodriguez, BD 1:06.54; SOFLO: 12. Juan Pablo Pineda 1:07.92, time drop.
1. Steven Aimable, Unattached 27.16, 2. Payton Plumb, SUSA 27.50, 3. Matheo Mateos, Azura 27.58; SOFLO: 9. Lance Lesage 27.88, time drop.
1. Gabriel Araya, Unattached 55.63, 2. Kamarl Muhammad, Unattached 55.63, 3. Blake Wilton, STAR 55.82; SOFLO: 11. Rafael Rodriguez 57.71.
400-meter individual medley:
1. Alexander Gusev, SYS 4:30.94, 2. Joshua Zuchowski, FAST 4:39.01, 3. Matheo Mateos, Azura 4:39.13; SOFLO: 4. Rafael Rodriguez 4:39.27, 18. Leonardo Mateus 4:49.78, 20. Dominc Bono 4:50.46, 21. Javier Roman 4:52.33.
800-meter freestyle relay:
1. Azura 7:58.36 (Matheo Mateos, Franco Lupoli, Sidrell Williams, Juan Zapata), 2. Sarasota YMCA 7:59.40, 3. Metro Aquatics 8:01.45, 4. SOFLO A 8:02.50 (Rafael Rodriguez, Robert Wilson, Philopatier Ibrahim, Lance Lesage), 12. SOFLO B 8:19.80 (Nicolas Rossi, Michael Arias, Leonardo Mateus, Dominic Bono).
IF YOU GO
What: 2019 Speedo Championship Series Southern Zone South Sectional Championship
Schedule: Saturday-Sunday, prelims 9 a.m. and finals 5 p.m.
Where: Plantation Aquatic Complex, 9151 NW Second Street.
Of note: Admission is $5. For more information call 954-452-2526.
Sharon Robb can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org